The tour in a nutshell
This is a tour to four of the nine islands of the Azores where you will learn about their culture, taste the local gastronomy, walk on their topical trails and enjoy the Azorean pace of life.
The Azores is a Portuguese archipelago, located in the Atlantic Ocean, 2750miles (ca. 4,426 km) from Washington, or 6 hours with a direct flight from Boston if you’re coming from that part of the globe.
In spite of being a Portuguese territory, due to its peculiar location, it was quite isolated until not too long ago when the flights became more affordable. It developed a unique culture in the context of Portuguese heritage.
Nowadays, the Azores are considered a hidden jewel that will be discovered by the world in the coming years. So, now more than ever is the right moment to visit these unspoiled islands.
São Miguel, Pico, São Jorge, and Faial are the islands selected for this tour and the reasons are easy to understand.
Diversity: each island has its own landscape and architectural signature, specific Portuguese accent, a wide variety of gastronomic delicacies and very different kind of walking trails in between them so, ultimately it adds value to the tour.
Proximity: three of the four selected islands are very close to each other, which leads to short transfer time in between islands and the fourth and major island of the Azores, is easily accessible by plane with frequent international and domestic flights.
Cost efficiency: São Miguel, one of the selected islands, has the major landing and departing airport of the archipelago, with more international flights allowing higher flexibility and lower flight rates which will positively contribute to the total tour’s value.
Not cold and not too warm is how one can define the temperature during most of the times in the Azores.
The locals will tell you that you will have the four seasons in one day, meaning that from cold weather to sunshine and warm to some spring breeze, all is possible in one single day.
To have a green landscape means also to have some rain once in a while. However, it doesn’t take too long until it returns to a sunny nice day again.
During this tour, there will be a possibility to visit a pineapple plantation, taste nice guavas, learn about the tea production and taste they local Atlantic fishes like the tuna fish.
Join us for a memorable tour.
- Visit volcanic lagoons with different colors.
- Learn about pineapple plantations and their greenhouses.
- Explore volcanic caves and tunnels.
- Walk in tea plantations and learn about tea production.
- Swim in hot springs, both in the sea and in freshwater lagoons.
- Enjoy scenic walks along the coast and luxing woods.
- Taste a fish soup that will stay in your memory.
- The Azorean gastronomy with its red pepper paste, unique cheeses, free-range cows, tropical fruits all mixed with European influences gets to be tastefully peculiar.
- Explore the landscape of the Pico Island Vineyard Culture as a UNESCO World Heritage.
- Climb to the Portuguese highest pick – optional.
Related posts to read
- Daily walks: You will find a tour with a balanced mix of urban walks, guided tours to museums and plantations, industrial sites, and some easy unpaved walks in the countryside. On average, all in all, you can walk five to eight miles per day. Options, for shorter walks or to stay at the hotel, are to be expected. Along the tour, some days are busier than others and you can join the group or stay in the hotel and enjoy the accommodations.
- Other activities: guided visits to monuments, museums, farms, and industrial sites, lava caves, wine tastings, a handicraft workshop, ferryboats transfers, and opportunities for leisure time.
- Meals: all breakfasts are in the hotels, lunches are a balanced mix of small local restaurants or picnics and dinners are planned to be in the hotel or in local restaurants depending on the specific situation.
- Transportation: a mix of van transfers, three ferryboat transfers, and two plane transfers.
Small groups: from 2 up to 6 people.
- In 15 days tour, you have included: 14 overnights, 14 breakfasts, 14 lunches, all guided tours of the program and so much more and all transfers during the tour consisting of two flights in between islands, two ferry boat tickets and all land transfers of the program overnights, 14 breakfasts, 14 lunches, all transfers in tour, all guided tours of the program and so much more.
To learn more about the Detailed Itinerary access here.
A day-by-day program to inform you about the tour, what you will see and the hotels where you are going to be lodged.
Hello dear guest,
I’m David Monteiro and I will be your Tour Leader.
I was a CPA in Portugal for more than 20 years, having managerial positions in several multinational companies when in 2005 I decided to change gear and stop for a sabbatical year.
After that, nothing was the same again. In the meantime I found a new dream: tourism.
Easier to dream about it than actually doing it, I had to struggle for a few years to move this project ahead.
In 2007, the first brand was created, “Montes e Vales” (meaning “Hills and Valleys”) started providing tours for individuals and team-building events for corporations. In this context and since the start up, we’ve been intensely providing walking and hiking tours in Portugal and Spain and providing team-building event for big Portuguese and international companies in Portugal.
In 2010, to complement the above mentioned business, a few weeks per year, I start guiding walking tour in Portugal and Spain for US based companies and also providing other kind of support services to active tours and the Iberactive brand started.
I’m passionate about History, photography, arts, culture and gastronomy.
Please call me in case you have any doubt. I’m here to help you make this tour one of the best you ever had.
Hope to see you soon,
+351 914 794 553
a guided active tour in Portugal by Iberactive.com
Tour dates: 28th Jun 2019 (Day 1) / 12th Jul 2019 (Day 15)
Do you prefer another date? If you have your own group, independently of its size, please let us know and we will organize a private tour for you.
Tour Price: 5.800USD per person
Including: 14 overnights sharing a standard double room, 14 breakfasts, 14 lunches, all transfers in the tour, all guided tours of the program and so much more.
Single room supplement: 800USD
Accommodations: All the hotels and other accommodations mentioned, are considering their availability at reservation time. In case a referred hotel is not available, a same level or higher hotel/accommodation will be selected. Due to high demand for Ponta Delgada, the hotels to be used are not going to be referred but they will be selected in between modern 4 stars hotels in the city center.
Breakfast: to be served by the hotel.
Lunches and dinners: The included options, for dishes and wines, are those to be mentioned at the respective time by the Tour Leader.
Flights to and from the tour not included. To better organize your flights, please consider the Ponta Delgada Airport, landing on tour’s Day 1 and departure also from Ponta Delgada Airport at tour’s Day 15. Two flights during the tours, as per Itinerary, as transfers between the islands, are included.
There will be an Iberactive’s representative to meet you at the Ponta Delgada Airport at your arrival on tour’s Day 1and to take to the Ponta Delgada Airport at your departure on Day 15.
500USD at any time to guarantee your place.
Balance 90 days before the 1st Tour Day
To be paid to the following bank account:
Accounts holder identification:
Iberhills – Eventos e Viagens, Unipessoal Lda
Rua Professor Mira Fernandes, Lt 1543 – 5Dto
1900-383 Lisboa, Portugal
Bank name: Novo Banco SA (Lisbon, Portugal)
IBAN PT50 007 0000 0031 3261 0162 3
SWIFT / BIC: BESCPTPL
The costs of cancellation are as follows:
90 days before 1st Tour Day – 0% of the tour price
89-60 days before 1st Tour Day – 25% of the tour price
59-45 days before 1st Tour Day – 50% of the tour price
44-30 days before 1st Tour Day – 75% of the tour price
29 days or less before 1st Tour Day – 100% of the tour price
To cancel your reservation it is mandatory that an e-mail message is sent to Iberactive from the same e-mail address used for the reservation. The amount will be transferred back to the same account used for the reservation. The amount to be returned will be calculated considering the above-mentioned cancellation costs.